Wednesday, August 18, 2010

UFO List Part 3 - Quilting

I'm afraid this list will be just as long as the other too. Sigh. Here goes.

1. Mystery Quilt: A mystery quilt my Texada Quilter's Guild did about, oh, 4 or 5 years ago. The top is actually pieced, but then I decided to add an applique border once it was all done. The stumbling block is, of course, that the whole quilt has to be manipulated under the sewing machine in order to stitch down the daisies. Hmm. Wish I had planned this out better. It is much easier to turn a block under the machine than the whole quilt. Love the border anyway, just don't want to deal with it. .


2. Lazy Crazy Quilt. A Thimbleberries Kit that I thoroughly enjoyed making. It is sandwiched, pinned and ready to quilt. What is the hold up you may ask? I have no idea.


3. Mama's Table Runner. Circa Spring 2010. I made 4 kits up for my friends and we all have a challenge to finish it. I pieced the top in one day, then stalled on the hand applique. It is really pretty. Don't mind the wrinkles. It has been rolled in a ball in my purse. Got to get back to it.

 

4. Grandmother's Garden Quilt. WIP for about 5 years now. Blocks have been completed for about 2 years. I decided to do this very elaborate Trapunto quilting. There are 18 hand appliqued Flower blocks and at least a dozen Trapunto blocks. Each one takes at least an hour to an hour and a half to quilt with trapunto and tiny stippling. I still have to piece the borders. This one was stalled for many reasons. First, I changed by mind about having a printed fabric sashing, and decided to put the setting blocks in, but had not bought enough material to do this. I had to look for at least 2 years to find something I liked. I bought fabric twice, in the end.  Goal: to finish it for the March 2011 Timberlane Quilt Show.


5.Snowman Quilt.. A Round Robin Block Exchange through the Timberlane Quilter's Guild. I put one block in a cookie tin and invited other guild members to add more snowmen. The tin made the rounds and now I have 12 blocks to put together. Just have to brainstorm how I want to set them.



6. Do You Hear What I Hear Wall Hanging. Based upon a panel I bought. I have to design the outer borders. A good idea that stalled once Christmas Passed.


7. Stained Glass Roses. Abandoned after I decided I did not like the green fabric I chose for the leaves and had to pick out all the tiny black zig zag stitches.


8. Santa's Midnight Runner. I made one of these for a gift, and a second one for myself. You can guess which one is not finished and why.


9. Rose of Sharon. Another hand appliqued masterpiece in progress. Only two blocks finished so far. Not finished because I have had no time for hand work lately.


10. Merry Christmas Quilt. A group project of the Texada Quilters. Who has finished theirs? Barb and Angel, I think. I'm not sure who else. Must get back to this one. It is too much fun.


11. Lorrie's 50th Birthday Quilt. He is now 53. I gave it to him for his birthday, with pins still in it, only partially quilted. It is mostly finished. I have always wanted to go back and do some heavier quilting in the large blocks. I hung it at the last Timberlane Quilt Show, and we used it over the July long weekend in our camper. But it is still not considered finished (by me).


 
12. Storm at Sea Quilt. A paper-pieced quilt from a class taken at least 4 years ago. Blocks for the original project are finished. I decided to make it bigger (of course) and stalled when I ran out of fabric. I just needed, like, 4 inches more. Some lovely person who sews at Rose Garden Quilts in Powell River came to my rescue and left a strip of gold fabric there for me. So nothing is preventing me from continuing now except my own self.

13. Rose Cottage Quilt. A block of the month I joined last year. I have cut out the first 4 blocks. I guess that makes it a started project. Or, maybe a project is only started once it hits the sewing machine...What do my readers think of this shameless attempt to remove a UFO from the list.

14. Placemats. Started a couple years ago at the Texada Retreat. We are all supposed to bring a quilted placemat for our meals. After attending for 2 years, I was shamed into making one. Except, of course, I started a set of four. I didn't finish it by the end of the retreat, so it went into a box. Goal: finish it by the Fall retreat this year.


15. Pumpkin Table Runner. My first hand-quilted project. No time for hand quilting. Will not revisit this unless future holds an abundance of leisure time, say when I win the Lottery. Which I never buy tickets for.



16. Neon Wall Hanging. Result of a class in free form curved piecing. I loved this technique, but, have never done it again since the class.


17. Curved Piecing project #2. Ditto.


18. Dogwood Purse. Wool hand applique. For myself, so languishing in a drawer. No photo yet.

19. Wool Applique Needlebook. Miniworkshop by Barb McC. Never looked at again after said workshop. No photo yet.

20. Spring Quilt. Group project for Cheri, Angel and I. Started when we used to get together on Thursday afternoons to stitch. Alas, we have not had regular Thursday stitch in's for several months. We pooled our fabric collection to make the quilt. Angel has stitched almost all her blocks, while on the past 2 years vacations. Apparently lots of time in airports, on buses etc is well spent. I have stitched 2 blocks. I don't think Cheri has started hers.



21. Japanese Tote Bag. Started strip-piecing the pockets one Thurday with Angel. We haven't got back to this one since.


22. Christmas Bell Pull. I have made this as a gift, and finished it. This one, you guessed it, is for me.



23. Hands Across The Water 2009. I won the block draw and now have some blocks to put together. 2 of them need to be replaced with new ones, as the makers used colors other than blue to create them and they just don't fit in.



24. Teapot Table Runner. Was to be donated for the Legion fundraiser but did not finish it in time. Maybe for this year's (or next year's, as the case may be.)



25. French Country Tea Cosy and Mat. Made 3 of these for gifts. This is the one I did not finish.

 
 
26. Mexican Star. Another class. I finished the quilt as per the class, but decided to make it bigger. Why do I do this. Need to decide how I want to accomplish this with a limited amount of the original material and no idea how I want to expand this quilt. Lightning will strike, I hope.
 

27. You guessed it, another class. This one in the reverse applique technique. I need to stop taking classes.


27. These pitiful scraps and templates are the result of reading a book by Jinny Beyer. She hand-pieces all her quilts. Somewhere in my dreams I decided this would be a good thing to try and started cutting out a wall hanging to hand piece. If I finish this one, I think I will revert to machine piecing. I don't have the time to do the handwork I want to do, let alone sewing straight lines in running stitch.

This is worse than I thought. I somehow thought the quilting list would be smaller than the embroidery list.

1 comment: